Please write and send praise, critique, interesting links or random musings to touchthehandthatfeedsyou@yahoo.com

Monday, January 14, 2013

Calling For Rational Gun Control Is Not A Secret Code

Jan 14th, 2013
by F. Grey Parker

When I argue that we must close the so-called ‘gun show loophole’ and subject every gun sale to the same rigorous background checks, it is NOT secret code for ‘I want the government to take your guns.’

When I suggest that every firearm sold should be titled and insured for liability in the same way that automobiles are, it is NOT secret code for ‘I want the government to take your guns.’

When I put forward the idea that substantial written and operational proficiency tests should be mandatory for all FOID applicants, it is NOT secret code for ‘I want the government to take your guns.’

When I recommend that extended magazines and drums should be unloaded for transportation outside of shooting ranges, on private property or in hunting areas and carrying them loaded in public should be a crime, it is NOT secret code for ‘I want the government to take your guns.’

When I propose that straw purchasing and failure to report stolen weapons should be federal crimes, it is NOT secret code for ‘I want the government to take your guns.’

When I advocate that all carry permits should require open carry and not concealment so the public is aware whether or not a fellow citizen is armed, it is NOT secret code for ‘I want the government to take your guns.’

When I submit that an applicant’s mental health history should be a factor in all firearms licensing and failure on the part of a FOID applicant to disclose their history should be treated as perjury, it is NOT secret code for ‘I want the government to take your guns.’

I have never endorsed any scheme for the government to take away your guns.

If you want to keep guns in your home, that’s fine. I will not be setting foot in your home.

I don’t know any gun owner who has ever, and I mean ever, used their weapon for self defense. I have, however, lost five friends to suicide by gun. In the last year, I have lost two friends who were murdered with their own licensed, registered and perfectly legal firearms.

This is, of course, in total accordance with the statistical reality of gun ownership in the United States.

And yet, I still have never endorsed, suggested, or recommended any proposal that would actually take away anyone’s guns.

Considering the degree of collateral damage I have witnessed, the carnage which has personally affected my life, and the terror I have watched my friends and loved ones endure all due to the availability of firearms, I would like to humbly suggest that the pro-gun crowd which continues to viciously and vacantly attack me should take a moment…

… and then say thank you for my continuing to bend over backwards to accommodate their Constitutional rights in spite of the fact that the 2nd Amendment doesn’t make one bit of sense anymore.

By the way, none of this was secret code for ‘I want the government to take your guns.’

2 comments:

  1. Heh heh heh... well said, and welcome back. I wrote about this issue and posted the following essay on my blog, we have many things in common:
    http://gortnation.blogspot.com/2012/12/shooting-from-hip.html

    Have a lookie at the comments, as I got a hit from an unidentified gun zealot who proposed the same old stoopid arguments about why unfettered gun ownership is all good. I answered back and got no replies. Wonder why?

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are being besieged by an army of "pro-gun" strawmen.

    And thanks. I had to come back.

    ReplyDelete