Please write and send praise, critique, interesting links or random musings to touchthehandthatfeedsyou@yahoo.com

Thursday, March 17, 2011

It's For Ireland

March 17th, 2011
The title translates as "It's For Ireland I'd Not Tell Her Name." A full translation of the lyrics is below.






There's a home by the wide Avonmore
That will sweep o'er the broad open sea
And wide rivers their waves wash ashore
Whilst bulrushes wave to the breeze
Where the green ivy clings 'round the door
And the birds sweetly sing on each tree
Oh me darling, they're tuning their notes
It's ar Éirinn ní neosfainn cé hí
Like the sick man that longs for the dawn
I do long for the light of her smile
And I pray for my own cailín bán
Whilst I'm waiting for her by the stile
Oh I'd climb all the hills of the land
And I'd swim all the depths of the sea
To get one kiss from her lily-white hand
It's ar Éirinn ní neosfainn cé hí
I have toiled sore those years of me life
Through storm, through sunshine and rain
And I surely would venture my life
For to shield her one moment from pain
For she being my comfort in life
Oh my comfort and joy she may be
She's my own, she's my promised wife
It's ar Éirinn ní neosfainn cé hí
Oh but when I will call her my own
And 'tis married we both then will be
Like the king and the queen on the throne
We'd be living in sweet purity
Oh 'tis then I'll have a home of my own
And I'll rear up a nice family
Oh 'tis then that her name will be known
But for Ireland I won't tell her name

No comments:

Post a Comment