Please write and send praise, critique, interesting links or random musings to touchthehandthatfeedsyou@yahoo.com

Monday, August 22, 2011

How They Operate

Aug 22nd, 2011

Lost in the spectacle of Christine O'Donnell walking out on an interview with CNN's Piers Morgan last week has been the Republican reaction to the book she is hawking, ostensibly her reason for having been there. A fundamental theme of O'Donnell's book seems to be that of casting herself as a victim of the "political establishment."

She would apparently have us believe that her experience in Delaware politics was beset by at every turn by snubs and disrespect. It sounds like the latest entry in the growing bibliography of "conservative victimhood."

Maria Evans, a former aide to 2008 Delaware Gubernatorial candidate Bill Lee, has an interesting piece over at Frum Forum today. It illustrates as well as anything I have seen lately just how despicable the tactics of the conservative movement's Dominionist interlopers really can be when they are proved to have been untruthful.

"On Monday, August 15, 2011, I issued a press release to set the record straight about an event featuring Mississippi Governor Haley Barbour, an event that three time Delaware Republican Senate candidate Christine O’Donnell cites in her new book, Troublemaker as an example of how the Delaware Republican Party was snubbing her all of the way back in 2008, when she was the party’s chosen nominee."

O'Donnell's portrayal of the event in question is, to put it politely, a prevarication. At that time of the event in question, one of Evans' responsibilities was to record all public events at which Lee participated. She presented a recording as evidence of O'Donnell's misrepresentations.

What follows is a narrative detailing the O'Donnell camp's response.

"The day after I issued the press release, on a local radio station where I had once worked as a talk show host, blogger and reporter, O’Donnell said that she “felt sorry” for me and the show’s host, one of her sycophants, called me Mike Castle’s “concubine.”

I was horrified to realize that my 12 year-old son had been listening to the broadcast. “Are you OK, Mom?” he asked.

“Yes,” I said. “I told you yesterday that people were going to say bad things about me, but it’s OK because I’m telling the truth, and when you tell the truth, everything works out.”

“Mom, what’s a ‘concubine’?” he asked with a concerned look on his face.

I paused for and long moment and considered my answer. “In this case, it means someone’s who’s right,” I said. I figured that I could clear up that definition on another day, when he seemed less upset.

I was glad that my son didn’t know that I had also been called a “liar,” a “political scoundrel,” “corrupt” and that I was accused of doctoring the tape. O’Donnell’s supporters went as far as to attack other members of my family in order to discredit and quiet me."


It is of no surprise to me that Ms. O'Donnell would essentially resort to a form of political slut-shaming when confronted with an empirically provable rebuttal. After all, her's is a movement which argues endlessly to impose their narrow morality upon us, but, which finds no sin more offensive than the exposure of their own lies.

No comments:

Post a Comment