Please write and send praise, critique, interesting links or random musings to touchthehandthatfeedsyou@yahoo.com

Thursday, August 4, 2011

The "Abusive" GOP?

August 4th, 2011

Writing for the Chicago Examiner, Julie Driscoll draws some frightening parallels between the behavior of the Tea Party driven GOP during the debt ceiling debate and that of abusive individuals:

"The behavior of the Republicans, in general, and most recently around the debt ceiling debate, reminds me vividly of the abusive personality that I engaged with daily, for years, until my divorce. No compromise was ever allowed - it was his way, or his other way. He never talked about the many ways in which he was wrong - it was "look what you made me do." In his mind, the only one whose behavior needed changing was mine. Any abusive behavior of his was justified because, in his warped thinking, I provoked him. He used bullying and fear tactics and threats and intimidation to get his way; in the end, although never abusive to them, he used my kids as pawns in his abusive game. He refused to share responsibility in any part of our relationship breakdown; I owned it, lock, stock and barrel."

I recommend the reading the full piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment