Please write and send praise, critique, interesting links or random musings to touchthehandthatfeedsyou@yahoo.com

Monday, December 5, 2011

An Adult Takes A Standardized Test

Dec 5th, 2011

What happens when an adult who is smart and successful by every contemporary metric takes a government-mandated standardized proficiency exam designed for 10 graders? A revelation.

WaPo's Answer Sheet has published a piece by educator Marion Brady profiling the experience of a colleague who reveals that they have "a bachelor of science degree, two masters degrees, and 15 credit hours toward a doctorate.

"I help oversee an organization with 22,000 employees and a $3 billion operations and capital budget, and am able to make sense of complex data related to those responsibilities."


So, how'd they do on the test they agreed to take? The results were poor. The real point is this:

"If I’d been required to take those two tests when I was a 10th grader, my life would almost certainly have been very different. I’d have been told I wasn’t ‘college material,’ would probably have believed it, and looked for work appropriate for the level of ability that the test said I had."

And yet, the curriculum crippling (not to mention wildly profitable) testing industry continues to dominate education.

No comments:

Post a Comment