Please write and send praise, critique, interesting links or random musings to touchthehandthatfeedsyou@yahoo.com

Monday, December 5, 2011

From The Mouths Of Babes

Dec 5th, 2011

"My mommy is gay but she doesn't need any fixing."

So said a little eight year old boy named Elijah to Rep. Michele Bachmann (R-Minn) yesterday.

It is likely that many anti-LGBT "conservatives" will fret about a "child being used for politics." To all such detractors, here's what the observer who shot the video reported:

"I was standing in line with Elijah and his mom. His mom was going to say something to her, but she got nervous and told me she wanted to leave. We were about to step out of the line but Elijah cried out, "Nooo!" He grabbed onto her coat and pulled her back in the line, saying he wanted to talk to her.

When we got up to Michele, he got a little stage fright. His mom just didn't want him to not say it because he was afraid, because she knew he would regret it if he didn't. I used to do ballet as a child, and before performances, I'd want to no do it-- my mom pushed me to perform. Afterwards, I'd run to her and tell her how happy I was. How is this any different? If we were shown a video of a child before a school play, or a recital, being pushed to perform and not give into stage fright, would we get the same reaction? My gut says no."


Perhaps a young child should not have to be a part of the conversation, but he is. To those "conservatives" who have a problem with this; I recommend you go look in a mirror and stare at the person who made Elijah's participation necessary.

No comments:

Post a Comment