April 18th, 2011
I think there is so much wrong with Arizona Governor Jan Brewer's Administration, her tactics and her philosophies. That said... Hat tip to Jan Brewer.
From My Fox Phoenix:
"PHOENIX - Arizona Governor Jan Brewer has vetoed two controversial bills passed by both the Arizona Senate and House -- the guns on campus bill and the 'birther' bill.
Guns on Campus Bill: SB 1467
- Would've allowed guns to be carried on public rights of way at public university and community college campuses
- Applies only to rights of way -- not inside classrooms
- University presidents opposed the bill
"This bill was very sloppily written and drafted, and I believe when it affects not only our education system, all the way from K-12 through the university, and we can't even find out a definition of what is a right of way... how are we going to enforce a law like that?" Governor Brewer told us.
'Birther' Bill: HB 2177
- Would've required President Barack Obama and other presidential candidates to prove they are U.S. citizens before their names can appear on the state's ballot
- Arizona would've become the first state to require such proof
- 13 other states have considered similar proposals this year. The proposals were defeated in Arkansas, Connecticut, Maine and Montana
As for her decision to veto this bill, Gov. Brewer said in part: "I never imagined being presented with a bill that could require candidates for President of the greatest and most powerful nation on earth to submit their 'early baptismal or circumcision certificates'… this is a bridge too far. This measure creates significant new problems while failing to do anything constructive for Arizona."